Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Dad's Funeral



"Sometimes when you feel so bad,
I hope you'll think of your bald old Dad.
Remember that your pain he shares,
and hurts because he really cares.

Once in a while he's a little crude,
and sometimes you might think he's rude.
He seems to pay only slight attention,
your daily plans he'd never mention.

But if you are in trouble deep,
and wonder how your soul you'll keep,
just call your Dad on the telephone,
He'd give his life to save your own."

-John Nielson





It was so good to hear the funny and touching stories told at Dad's funeral.  Eric gave his life sketch, and Bill Pendlebury and Art Whitby told stories and related fun memories, many of which I had never heard.  There were so many old friends there whom I remember from my childhood, and new friends of my parents whom I had never met, but who offered warm condolences and lots of help for Mom.

Dad was buried in the small and lovely Thayne Cemetery, with views in all directions, including the mountains and his home.  I thought his casket was particularly beautiful, made with redwood and copper, and the flowers Mom chose looked like the colorful wildflowers he loved.

Here are some pictures taken at Mom's house after the funeral.

Dave, Gloria and Bill

Kevin and JaNae's twins, Brynlee and Camden

 Kelly and Lorena

 Eric and Anne



 Kelly and Lucinda



 Mom and Violet



 Ashton

 Brayden and Lucinda

 Dave and Violet

 Gloria Pendlebury

 Goofy Anne!

Bret, Brayden, Brynlee, JaNae, Ashton

 Awww.... Jeddah





 Kevin and Camden

 Lucinda, Chris, Dave

Nancy Redd


In spite of what this looks like, Jaxon and Aprille had lots of fun together!









Jaxon made sure we wouldn't forget him...








Mom wrote afterwards, "What would I do without my family? Their support and the love we shared with one another is the only thing that got me through those last days of John's illness and the funeral. I'm so grateful for you and love you all."

We love you too!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you got to go home and visit with him before he passed. Wish we could have been there, you and your family are in our prayers :0) We love you!

    ReplyDelete