Sunday, April 15, 2012

Moving Back to Tucson

So, we're moving back to Tucson! But, not exactly the way we expected to. Bret and I decided that it was time for him to leave the company he's been working for for 14 years, and look for a new job. He contacted a few recruiters to let them know he was looking, and got a few leads. But then a recruiter he'd never talked to before called him up with a job that sounded perfect. After pitching the job to Bret, the recruiter ended, almost apologetically, with, "It's in Tucson, Arizona..." As if he expected that to be the deal breaker, ha ha! He was excited to learn that we'd love to move back there.

Bret got the job, and is living there now. So far he's very happy with it, and from what he hears from his friends at Sargent, he's glad we made the choice to leave. The rest of us will be moving as soon as school gets out at the end of June. We found a house that we're excited about... in different schools and a different stake, but not too far from where we lived before.

I think we've all had a few mixed emotions about the move. Jace will be going to college next year, and then on a mission, so he doesn't really care much, but it's hard on the others to leave their friends and start in new schools next year. They're pretty outgoing, though, and I'm sure will make friends quickly, just like they did when we moved here. As for me, I have missed Tucson, and our friends there terribly, and I've always hoped to move back.... So I was surprised to find that there are a lot of things I'm going to miss about California.

We've been back to Tucson a couple of times since Bret started the new job; once for a house hunting trip, and once because the kids were on spring break. It was a little different coming back, and knowing that we're moving there soon. I looked around and wondered (for the first time!) would I really rather live in Tucson than Irvine? The answer is yes... but not YES!!! like I expected it to be. I started listing in my mind the things I miss and love about Tucson. Some of the things surprised me. I miss the wide open desert; being able to see for miles, and not having the view obstructed with humanity and haze. I miss the blue, blue sky, the sunsets, and the stars at night. I miss the dirt, and being excited to see the occasional patch of wildflowers. I even miss seeing the homeless people selling newspapers on the corners! I miss the people who struggle financially, but who are cheerful and determined to be self sufficient. I miss Wal-Mart. And I miss my friends the most! Jill, who I can talk to about anything, and who took a lot of time out of her busy life to just hang out with me and do nothing. The people of Thornydale Ward, who flocked over to talk to us after sacrament meeting on Sunday. I miss our old bishop, Bishop Nokleby. While we were in town, he had brain surgery to remove a tumor. Two days later, we stopped by to see him. He had a huge incision on the side of his head, and he looked tired, as you would expect. Do you know what he said to us? He said, "I'm on the mend. If there's anything I can do for you, Bret, while you're here by yourself, or for your family when you move, let me know. I love the Websters and I want to help any way I can." Two days after brain surgery! And I'm sure he'd try to do whatever we asked! How could I not miss Tucson? I can't wait to go back!

On the other hand, I've learned to really appreciate some things about Irvine, and Oak Creek Ward in particular. Most of the people here are very successful in their careers, and there is a lot of money here. At first I judged them as being materialistic and snobby. But what I've learned is that they have the cushy lives they do because they've earned it. They are determined, intense, and driven people. Those characteristics bless them, not only temporally, but in the development of their talents, and in the way they live the gospel and raise their kids. They hold the bar high. There are so many good speakers (we have more lawyers than anything else by far!), and there's so much knowledge about the scriptures and church history, so talks and lessons are usually insightful and interesting. The ward also has some incredible musical talent. A 15 year old classical pianist played for us in sacrament meeting today, and he is amazing! The choir is large and beautiful, and musical numbers are almost like mini concerts.  Our kids have also had great youth leaders, who apply their dedication and drive to their callings. And the youth, who are really good, and such close friends, have really blessed our family. I've learned a lot from our friends here, and hopefully I can raise my goals and expectations too.

So, I look forward to moving back to Tucson, as does the rest of the family - for the most part. To me, it just feels like home. But we'll come back to Southern California for vacation! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment