Tuesday, July 6, 2010

An "unholy" 4th of July

The 4th of July is probably my favorite holiday!  I love America, and feel so blessed to live here.  I love all the traditional celebrations:  Barbeques, fireworks, and just hanging out with friends and family.

A family in our ward, the Hendersons, invited us over for a barbeque this year.  I was very grateful for that, as we don't really know many people here yet.  They also invited Bishop Turner and his family.  It was so much fun to get to know them all better.

The 4th was on a Sunday this year, and we had to laugh a little during sacrament meeting.  A young girl bore her testimony and talked about how important it is to keep the Sabbath day holy, even on the 4th of July.  She said that instead of going to barbeques and parties we should stay home with our families.  We laughed watching the bishop sitting behind her, and knowing we were going to party with him later!  I don't believe there is anything wrong with families enjoying friendships, or with celebrating the birthday of this promised land on Sunday.  But, just to cover our bases, we (the Hendersons, Turners and us) decided it was a "fellowshipping the new family" activity!

Even though I still feel sort of (really) out of my element here, thanks to the ward members who have gone out of their way to welcome us, it's getting better.

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like you had a great weekend.. I don't see anything wrong with "fellowshiping" families either..heehee :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shooting water balloons 100 yards across the park, eating ribs, and watching fireworks....sounds pretty Holy to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you are making good friends. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete